Superhero/Sidekick is a card blending exercise that helps develop the skill of relating two cards in a hierarchical way. It has helped me gain confidence in my intuitive leaps and make meaning from cards with no positions. This exercise is detailed in Advanced Tarot Secrets by Dusty White.
I used the Wild Unknown Tarot for this experiment and it was rewarding. The cards are visually appealing–simple yet artistic and feature animals and other things of nature. It made for some interesting pairings.
To do this exercise yourself you just need to draw the whole deck (after shuffling of course) in pairs. Look at the cards and decide which of the two is superhero and which is sidekick. These are the questions I asked myself:
- SUPERHERO: Who is this card as a superhero. What is their strength? What is their Achilles’ heel?
- What is this card’s mission? What is their method of action?
- In what areas could the superhero need assistance from the sidekick?
- SIDEKICK: Who is this card as a sidekick? What do they bring to the team?
- What motivates them to action?
- How might they get the superhero into trouble?
I photographed the couplets and plan to talk about a few of them in this blog. FIRST: Empress and the Queen of Cups